Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Savor The Day

We've all heard the Latin phrase, "Carpe Diem," which means, "seize the day" or something like that. I don't have anything in particular against the idea of seizing the day, but I think sometimes we talk about it in terms of getting things done, going for broke, pursuing our dreams, etc. Now I don't really have anything against that either, but sometimes the effort required to seize a day means that we have little strength left to savor the day. Seizing the day usually means that we're trying to get to another level or achieve another goal sot that we can savor some accomplishment out there in the future.

And then there's life, which throws a never-ending stream of curve-balls. And sometimes we get to savor the the things we have seized, but sometimes things turn our differently. Sometimes our plans change. Sometimes we are not able to seize quite what we thought we could. Sometimes we confront difficulties we could not have imagined. And when we get too busy seizing, we can often forget to savor the wonderful things God has given us right now. None of us are guaranteed another day, so it's important that we seize and savor all at the same time.

My children have helped me see this more clearly. There are things I want to do, things I'm trying to accomplish, dreams I have of savoring this milestone or that. But I will never get my kids again at this age, in this place, at this time. I will never have Keri again at this point in our lives. I will never be at this place, with these people, the way I am right now. And that means while I fully intend to seize what God has put before me, I also pray that He will bless me with the ability to savor what I have right here, right now.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Wise words.

And if that isn't the hardest thing to do when you "seize the day" list is long!