Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My favorite service of the year...

I love church. I'm not sure you could do what I do and not love church. I love to hear a sanctuary full of people raise their voices in worship. I love to see friends encouraging each other and praying for each other. But I think my favorite service of the year is the Christmas Eve service. Other than some lights on the platform for the choir and speakers to see by, the service takes place by candlelight. We sing some carols together, listen to some music by the choir and orchestra, read a prayer together, and join in the Advent reading. The service ends in candlelight with the song Silent Night.

There is something very special about this service, not just because it is done by candlelight. I think it's because of the anticipation Christmas Eve brings. Even though we've heard the story our whole lives, we cannot help but anticipate what we know will come in the morning--the birth of our Savior. And that anticipation strikes a chord not only because we are looking back at what happened more than 2000 years ago, but because we believe that God will again step into the pages of human history to finish rescuing his people. And so we wait...

No comments: