Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving Part 1

This is the week of Thanksgiving and so I'm going to be thankful, or at least share some of the reasons I have to be thankful. The first reason, and the one upon which all others are built, is that I am loved and surrounded by God. Psalm 139:5-10 says,

"You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. 7Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

When you you serve in full-time ministry, such as a pastor, it's very easy to relate to God in terms of what He has called you to do or what you're trying to do on His behalf. And while serving Him in this way truly is a joy, it can also crowd out your personal relationship with Him if you're not careful--the time you spend just being His child. I am so thankful for scriptures like Psalm 139, which reminds me that I can come to Him, not in any official capacity, not with any responsibilities, but just as His child, to love and be loved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jared,
You touched on a constant request I make for you and all my pastors. To maintain a deep, meaningful prayer life in close fellowship with our Lord.
I am very thankful for you and Keri.
Mark Bowman