Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lines

I had a meeting today, and while sometimes it feels like that's all I do, lunch was free and it was Mexican food! Wahoo! I was talking to the General Manager of the Marriott hotel across the street from our church and he told me the story of his girlfriend who travels to South America as a nurse. She and her colleagues set up medical clinics and feeding stations and provide 16 hours a day of help for people who stand in long lines and camp out over night to receive help they would otherwise never get. Before I could shut my trap I said, "kinda like the lines for the new iPhone." There were a couple other people sitting at the table with us and they all thought it was funny, but I realized again that everything is a matter of perspective. And if you think I'm going to get sanctimonious and rage against nice phones, you don't know me very well (especially since I'm a Mac guy). But it did give me pause to stop and think once again about the conditions of my fellow-humans around the globe. I pray that God would never allow me to become dull to the suffering of others and my responsibility to do what I can to help them.

No comments: