Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spiritual Leadership

The Bible contains some difficult sayings; some are difficult to understand, and some are difficult because I understand them. 1Corinthians 11:1 falls into the second category. "Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ," Paul says. It's possible to find some comfort in the immediate context. After all, we no longer struggle with meat offered to idols and so we could just dismiss the passage as "historically bound." However, even a moment's reflection reveals the hopelessness of that argument. The bigger issue includes anything that would cause offense to another person, thus the words, "whatever you do."

But even more than the immediate context, I believe this statement reflects something much more central to Paul's way of thinking about spiritual leadership. Paul lived his life that he might know Christ--"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead (Phil 3:10-11)"--but he wanted those under his leadership to follow his example--"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you (Phil 4:9)."

That leaves me with some difficult questions. Would I be happy if everyone under my leadership followed the example of my life? Would I be happy if everyone responded to my sermons to the extent I respond to them? Would I be happy if everyone lived out their faith they way I live out mine? The gap between my example and the Biblical standard provides the to-do list of my spiritual life. God grant me eyes to see where I fall short and heart that is quick to repent.

1 comment:

Scott said...

That's so spot on. You've just given me a new way to talk about spiritual discipline.a

Or maybe you could say it..."The gap shows me the spiritual disciplines I need to engage in my life to be transformed."